SharePoint Certification 70-667… Step 2 the Developer Site
So, now we’re here:
So, since I’ve been playing with SharePoint 2010 for a while, rather than watch all the videos, taking the knowledge test seemed to be the right path. When looking at questions like:
You think, “hmmmm, this sounds like a nice tricky question for the test”. The design surface is only available for the Visual Web Part. Tricky, tricky, tricky…
This next question is a good example of a Microsoft leading question:
Which one did you pick?
Well, anything but the last one would be incorrect.
Answers one and two have a lot of words… it has to be one of those right?
Ah such a let down, it’s the short one:
Something I’ve learned from past experience, read all the answers, then choose. A lot of times, you could read the first one, see that it’s long, and you’ve already eliminated the short answers because why? They’re short.
So, in going through this, each module has a series of questions. As these are more developer oriented, they would more likely appear on the dev. exam rather than the IT pro but it never hurts to go through these until you reach the 100% with confidence.
So, skills tested, it’s time to check out the virtual lab…
Opens up in a Hyper-V instance. Took about a minute or two to prep. Of course, it always seems like forever when you’re waiting. Especially when it’s down to those last couple of blocks. The lab promises a better understanding of web parts and linq. Hmmm, should be interesting.
I was surprised to see IE 6 still as a supported browser…
Ah ha… missed the hidden security dialog…
So far so good…
Established the connection and accepted the EULA. The instructions said to click on start, all progs… to open visual studio. Hmmm… I just clicked on the VS icon in the task bar. Seemed a whole lot simpler to me.
Once the IDE loaded it was time to create the EX1 Visual Web Part from the 2010 SharePoint Project Templates. The instructions on the lab are very detailed and tell you exactly where to go and do this. Response is a little slow but reasonable. Don’t miss the UnCheck Create Directory box. I almost did. The SharePoint Customization Wizard popped up with all the right settings so clicking “Finish” was all that was necessary. Again, it took a few for the project to create…actually, it was almost painfully long.
NOTE:When I first started out working with 2010, I set out by creating an environment with VMWare Workstation. By creating the environment locally, you can still follow along with the tutorial but without all the slowness. Worth considering.
Back to the tutorial…
On to the visual webpart webpart. Reminds me of MVVM. Hmmmmm.
Working with the manual in it’s narrow column was ok until this point. The pdf option sounds like a better plan. Continued with the tutorial adding the the SPLinq.cs that step L generated and the added in the linq dll.
Note: I’ve always found it beneficial to set up some mapped driver to specific sharepoint locations. The first is always for:
\\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\
It saves a lot of typing and hunting.
The steps go on, you add the code then you are to simply deploy. While this builds and deploys the webpart, I like to build the project first and fix any typo’s before deploying… just my thing I guess.
Exercise 2 is supposed to take 20 minutes. With the lags on the first, I’m concerned that this may take about an hour. Fired it all up, started the new session… On the one hand, the whole create project thing, while handy once or so, by lab two, just opening an existing blank project and adding the right items from there…poe tay toe poe tah toe…
Ok new blank project created and interface added, I’m ready to go…ran through the exercise, some additional things to note. After completion of inserting the Provider Web Part, you are instructed to build only. After the Consumer Web Part, it’s deploy only. For me, it’s build first, then Deploy. Just my thoughts and I like to be consistent. Also, when deploying, the first time it timed out. Second “deploy” worked fine with no changes.
Project looks like this:
Having gone through it all, the server died and the project didn’t work as advertised. I wanted to go back and make sure the code synched with the documentation but that was not going to be the case.
Overall, it was interesting, a little informative and a little frustrating at the same time.